Our first night back was filled with excitement, a paper airplane contest, LAC promotions, a new SWO, and our DCO got promoted as well. Welcome back 809!
It has come to my attention that I may not have been clear enough in this week’s weekly routine orders, so I’ll quickly clarify things in this post.
- While we are easing into in-person cadet activities, we will not be beginning our training nights until the first week of October.
- Training Level 5 cadets (FSgts and above) will be meeting to review Instructional Techniques in preparation for returning to training.
- Cadets who have submitted their sizes for new uniform parts and have received confirmation from CI Dau that their parts are available will be coming to drop off their old uniform parts and collect new ones.
If you’re not attending the Instructional Techniques review or exchanging uniform pieces, don’t come out.
There is no general cadet training scheduled until the beginning of October. We’re anxiously looking forward to having everyone back as soon as possible, but please have patience with us. We’re not quite there yet.
809 Newark RCACS
I know everyone has been waiting to hear about how we’re beginning our 2021/22 training year and I’m excited to be able to outline our initial plans this morning. Obviously, some of this is tentative based on the state of current COVID-19 measures, but we’re optimistic that we can get back to in-person training in the next month. We’ll start with some virtual activities in preparation for a proper start and the approval of in-person training, but the bulk of these are administrative and shouldn’t take away from the program that we know and love.
Our first administrative matters will be annual validation forms and uniform exchanges. We’ll be sending out the validation forms for you to review and return over the next few days. For uniform exchanges, we’re going to have everyone fill out the sizing forms for both dress and field uniforms so that CI Dau can have everything ready for you on our uniform exchange nights this month. Links to those forms can be found below and we’re asking that those be filled out as soon as possible. Some items may need to be ordered and we want to minimize any unnecessary delays.
We’re also looking to welcome new cadets beginning on our first (tentative) in-person training night in October. If you know someone who you think would get a lot out of our program, bring them out that night or on any following training night.
Here’s our tentative outline for the first few months:
2021/9/15 – Staff/Instructors’ Training Meeting to Review the Year’s Training Plan
2021/9/22 – Administration Night, Uniform Exchanges, Instructional Techniques Review for Instructors
2021/9/29 – Administration Night, Uniform Exchanges, Instructional Techniques Review for Instructors
2021/10/6 – First In-Person Training Night (Tentative)
2021/10/13 – In-Person Training Night (Tentative)
2021/10/20 – In-Person Training Night (Tentative)
2021/10/27 – In-Person Training Night (Tentative)
2021/11/3 – In-Person Training Night (Tentative)
2021/11/10 – In-Person Training Night – Remembrance Day Preparations (Tentative)
2021/11/11 – Remembrance Day Activities (Tentative)
2021/11/17 – In-Person Training Night (Tentative)
2021/11/24 – In-Person Training Night (Tentative)
2021/12/1 – In-Person Training Night (Tentative)
2021/12/8 – In-Person Training Night (Tentative)
2021/12/15 – Annual Mess Dinner (Tentative)
2021/12/16 – 2022/1/6 – Winter Stand-Down (No Training)
The above schedule doesn’t include Monday night training activities and field training exercises. Once we have everything lined up for the regular schedule, we’ll be working to get these solidified as soon as possible.
Weekly Routine Orders outlining specifics will commence tomorrow and will outline any necessary adjustments to the above.
We’re looking forward to seeing everyone and finally restarting our cadet program in full. Welcome back! I hope you’re all as enthusiastic as we are!
809 Newark RCACS
Attention Level 3 and Level 4 Cadets
The refresher session for the Level 3 and 4 Aviation Subject Tests organised in conjunction with 87 Eagle Squadron Welland and scheduled for Saturday May 1st, 2021, has been cancelled.
We will put every effort to organize our own inhouse refreshers in the coming weeks, in case we will not be able to re-schedule a session with other squadrons. Details to follow.
2 Lt Nicolescu – Training Officer
This message just came down from RCSU with regards to the CAP. I have received the new joining instructions, however I just learned that the links are flawed and that I should expect a revised copy shortly. As soon as I get it, I’ll email to each of the cadets in the squadron. Please read the following:
Due to technical issues with the CCO Portal, we will NOT be using this option for the upcoming #CentralCAPCruise this week.
The cadets will no longer need an account for the CCO Portal. Instead, the CAP content will now be hosted using an alternative platform. No account creation or sign-up is required.
Your corps/squadron staff have been sent an email with details. They will be in the best position to help you access everything you need to have fun this week!
See you on deck tomorrow at 9am SHARP!
All Cadets Level 3 and 4 should wear sports gear for tonight’s training night. You will participate in some physical activities as well as learning about strategies to stay fit and incorporate physical activities in your daily routine. See you all tonight!
As with the rest of the country, it appears that infection numbers in the Niagara Region have skyrocketed recently. This has prompted a requirement to return to virtual cadet training activities until further notice, per the message below this one.
This is not the scenario any of us were hoping for now that we’ve just begun returning to in-person training, but the health situation in our region demands that we act responsibly to ensure everyone’s safety.
We’re still planning a number of in-person events for when this restriction is lifted, but must settle for an online experience for the moment. Look out for a number of at-home activities and competitions we will have lined up for the next little while as well.
Our Remembrance Day activities will still happen tomorrow night, but we will be moving them to a Meet-based session. The schedule is as follows:
Level 1-5 Cadets
1900-1935 – Remembrance Day Activities
1940-2025 – Remembrance Day Activities
809 Newark RCACS
- In order to maximize our efforts to enhance the safety of all who participate in the Cadet Program, we must ensure we remain aware of local conditions in the communities we serve. Over the past few weeks, the number of active cases of COVID-19 in Ontario has been increasing. In particular, there has been an increase in communities within the jurisdiction of Niagara Region Public Health Services.
- We have started approving in-person training requests for corps/squadrons throughout Ontario. However, due to the recent increase in COVID-19 cases in Niagara Region, no in-person cadet activities will be authorized for any cadet units in the communities serviced by Niagara Region Public Health Services until further notice. Any previous approval for in-person training is withdrawn effective immediately.
- Cadet units in the Niagara Public Health Region are to continue with their virtual training program – ensuring engagement at all levels while prioritizing first and second-year cadets. Corps/squadron COs in this health region are also encouraged to continue planning for in-person activities without specific dates in order to be ready to commence in-person activities rapidly when conditions permit.
- To assist corps and squadron COs with tracking COVID-19 within their community/municipality, it is recommended you go to https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data to track cases within Ontario. Specific health services also have web trackers that you can access.
Questions may be directed to your Zone Training Officer or the undersigned.
Captain Michael Stacey, CD
J3 Zone Training Officer (Niagara and Greater Toronto Area)
Regional Cadet Support Unit Central
Canadian Armed Forces
Good evening, everyone.
Unfortunately, we’ve run into a situation where two members of our staff are feeling ill and will not be able to attend tonight, so we’re moving training to virtual attendance for this week. There is no reason to think that there has been any risk to the cadets or remaining staff members, but we’re being cautious over the matter regardless. More information will be forthcoming as soon as we have it.
Links are posted below for Classrooms and Meets, but remember that you need to be logged into the site to see these.
809 Newark RCACS
Level 1 Cadets
Level 2 Cadets
Level 3 Cadets
Level 4 Cadets
Following up to the last post, L2 training will be conducted virtually tonight. Please connect to your classroom at 1845 (6:45pm) and complete the virtual attendance form. Other levels will be attending in-person at 809 HQ.
809 Newark RCACS