As per our previous discussions, Mrs Gowans will be preparing cadets for the upcoming Effective Speaking Competition.
All cadets are encouraged to attend. It’s suggested that levels 2 and 3 make every effort to attend and take part. Not only is this an essential part of your training, the lessons you learn from taking part in this experience will stick with you for life and will help you as you progress in your careers when you become adults.
At the bottom of the post are the topics for the competition. Please look over the topics and research one that appeals to you. Be prepared to commit to a topic for the class this Monday night.
Also, please go to the following link to download the cadet workbook. Mrs Gowans would like you to complete the first assignment for Monday’s class, which is basically introducing yourselves following the framework provided in the workbook under assignment 1. This will be your first prepared 2-3 minute speech and will be about yourselves.
The following are the competition topics:
1. What is a Canadian?
2. 3D Printer Technology – how will it impact our future?
3. Should the voting age be lowered to 16?
4. How is today’s technology causing gaps in communications?
5. How will legalizing cannabis affect our society?
6. Why should cadets be involved in fundraising for the program?
7. The positive and negative effects of advances in technology.
8. What happened to the Avro Arrow and is it time for a new one?
9. Peer pressure amongst today’s youth – fact or fiction?
10. What is the importance of gender equality in today’s youth?
11. How could the cadet program fill the gap in the aviation industry?
12. Cadet’s Choice of Topic on either of the Categories:
a. Cadet Life
b. Science and Technology
d. Canadian History or Citizenship
Speeches are to be 5-6 minutes in length.
Cadets are to review above topics, research the topic, and choose and commit to a topic by November 5th, 2018.
Please direct your questions to Mrs Gowans. Have fun with this.